Disney Store Expands Newly-Designed Store Concept to 12 Countries in 2012
Disney Store kick offs 25th Anniversary year with plans to open stores across China, Japan, Europe and North America
PASADENA, Calif., January 17, 2012 — Today, at the National Retail Federation's "Big Show" in New York City, Disney Store announced that its award–winning store design will be in 12 countries by the end of 2012. The store opening slate includes an inaugural location in Shanghai, China opening in the fall, making it the twelfth country to receive the interactive retail model. More guests than ever before in North America will experience the immersive shopping destination as 13 new and remodeled Disney Store locations are scheduled to open in 2012, and Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Utah, and Virginia will each receive its first new concept store in the state. In February 2012, a new showcase Disney Store in Italy will be unveiled in Milan, the second newly–designed store to open in the country. The city of Sendai recently held the grand opening of its first newly–designed location in Japan as thousands of guests shared in "the best 30 minutes of a child's day". Disney Store's 25th anniversary year is off to an exciting start, building on its success as a leading global specialty retailer.
"We take great pride in bringing the magic of Disney to families around the world through Disney Store experiences," said Jim Fielding, president of Disney Stores Worldwide. "As we reflect on 25 years of accomplishments, we also look forward to all of the new and exciting places Disney Store will go in the future and we're excited to create 'the best 30 minutes of a child's day' for the next generation."
"We have laid a solid foundation and set a new standard for specialty retailer since launching our new store design in 2010," said Paul Gainer, senior vice president of Disney Store North America. "Our momentum continues to grow, and with the partnerships we have built with our landlords we have our best store opening slate to date, opening in premiere locations across the US and Canada."
Disney Store Locations: US and Canada
Remodels and Relocations
- Disney Store launched the entertainment retail model in 1987 by opening its first store at Glendale Galleria in Glendale, CA featuring exclusive products inspired by Disney characters and stories. In spring 2012, Disney Store's Glendale Galleria store will relocate to a new location within the mall and open with the new design ready to deliver an authentic Disney experience for fans of all ages.
- Disney Store in the beautiful Ala Moana Center in Honolulu, Hawaii will relocate to a new location and open the first Disney Store in the state to feature the new interactive design.
- From spring 2012 through fall, Disney Store will remodel and relocate several locations to feature its new design aesthetic including stores at Tyson's Corner Center in McLean, Virginia; Christiana Mall in Newark, Delaware; South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, California; Queens Center in Elmhurst, New York; West Field Valley Fair Mall in Santa Clara, California; and Westfield Valencia Town Center in Valencia, California.
- Park Meadows Mall in Lone Tree will receive the first newly designed store in Colorado.
- City Creek Center in Salt Lake City will get the first newly-designed Disney Store in the state of Utah.
- Disney Store will also open its second newly-designed store in Orlando, Florida at the Mall at Millenia.
- Scarborough Town Centre in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada will open a new Disney Store in the summer of 2012.
- Danbury Fair Mall in Danbury, Connecticut will open the first newly-designed store in Connecticut in summer 2012.
Disney Store Locations: Japan, China and Italy
- The Disney Store location in Sendai, Japan was visited by thousands of excited guests when doors opened in December 2011.
- Milan, Italy will open a showcase Disney Store location in February of 2012.
- Shanghai, China will open its first ever Disney Store in fall of 2012.
To find a local Disney Store, guests can visit www.DisneyStore.com/storelocator or call (866) 902-2798. Guests can also sign up for email alerts at www.DisneyStore.com/Updates, become a fan on www.facebook.com/DisneyStore or follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/DisneyStore to stay connected to your favorite destination.
News | Toy News
ABOUT DISNEY STORE
The Disney Store retail chain, which debuted in 1987, is owned and operated by Disney in North America, Europe, and Japan. Disney Store is the retail merchandising arm of Disney Consumer Products, the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) and its affiliates that extends the Disney brand to merchandise. Disney Store carries high-quality products, including exclusive product lines that support and promote Disney's key entertainment initiatives and characters. Disney Store opened its first store in Glendale, California and, in doing so, originated the themed retail business model. There are currently more than 200 Disney Store locations in North America; more than 40 Disney Store locations in Japan; and more than 100 Disney Store locations in Belgium, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom , plus online stores www.DisneyStore.com, www.disneystore.co.uk, www.disneystore.fr and www.disneystore.de. Each Disney Store location offers a magical shopping experience that can only be delivered by Disney, one of the world's largest and most successful entertainment companies. For more information, please visit www.disneyconsumerproducts.com/press/us/disneystore or follow us at www.facebook.com/DisneyStore and www.twitter.com/DisneyStore.