Buffalo Games at a Glance|
Environmental Sustainability Key for Games and Puzzle Lines Company Recycled 500 Tons of Materials in 2007
Buffalo, NY (February 2009) – Since its inception in 1986, Buffalo Games, makers of multiple award-winning party games, jigsaw puzzles and card games, has been dedicated to being environmentally friendly. This core concept wasn’t built on public relations spin or the buzzword of the day – it is a direct result of being aware of the environment and the products Buffalo Games produces.
“At Buffalo Games, our design challenge is to remove unnecessary materials and reduce overall packaging, while maintaining consumer demand,” said Mark Predko, Director of Marketing for Buffalo Games. “With an 85,000 square foot manufacturing facility and millions of units in annual production, our environmental initiatives must demonstrate real improvement,” he added.
For the 10th Anniversary Edition of the company’s top selling game, iMAgiNiff, Buffalo Games did the following:
For its puzzles, Buffalo Games has taken the following steps to more sustainable products:
- Reduced package size by 38%, package thickness by 10% (500 tons of material saved annually).
- Sealed using a PLA band, made from corn starch.
- Metallic foils (package and sticker) have been removed.
- Black dyed packaging converted to natural.
- Product warranty now printed on package, thus eliminating extra paper.
- Reduced box thickness by 11% resulting in 38 fewer tons of material used.
- All puzzles and packages are made from lighter Graphicboard (less dense than chipboard –less material for same thickness).
- Graphicboard is ‘upcycled” from newspapers, makes a better quality puzzle, and is minimum 90% post-consumer.
- Primary source of Buffalo Games graphic board now in the US (previously in Holland) – saves 3,500 miles of transport.
Kids Comment -
Add your comments about this story.
News | Toy News | Gaming News
Buffalo Games is a multiple award-winning American manufacturer of board games, card games and jigsaw puzzles. Popular board game titles include party games: iMAgiNiff 10th Anniversary Edition, Last Word, Likewise!, Ruin and the T-Shirt Game. Card games include Nacho Loco, Monster Maker, Bandits, Slap ‘n Grab and the card game version of iMAgiNiff. A full line of premium puzzles is also available featuring today’s hottest licenses and fashionable themes including Disney, Peanuts®, Photomosaics®, Hautman Brothers, Coca-Cola®, Darrell Bush, Art Poulin, Norman Rockwell, Audubon™, Disney Pixar™ and more.