Hip, Hip, Hooray --; It's Our 25th Birthday!
American Girl Celebrates 25 Years of Building Strong Characters, One Story at a Time
MIDDLETON, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- American Girl is proud to celebrate 25 years of inspiring millions of girls through its beautifully made dolls and compelling books. Since the first catalogue debuted in 1986, American Girl has provided engaging products for each stage of a young girl's development-from her preschool days of baby dolls and fantasy play through her tween years of self-expression and individuality. And with more than 20 million dolls and 135 million award-winning books sold to date, it's safe to say that American Girl's success would not be possible without the loyalty and enthusiasm of its most passionate friends and fans. So to celebrate this milestone occasion, American Girl is launching a first-of-its-kind cruise for fans (which sold out within three days), special in-store events, and limited-edition merchandise.
"Since 1986, American Girl has empowered millions of girls across the country, providing the tools and values they need to become girls-and women-of strong character," said Ellen L. Brothers, president of American Girl. "From our courageous and compassionate characters, past and present, to the heartfelt practical advice in our books and magazine, everything we do is for our fans, and we are truly thankful for their loyalty."
25th Birthday Products and Activities
American Girl's yearlong birthday celebration includes the following exclusive products and activities in 2011:
To learn more about American Girl's 25th birthday-related products and events, visit americangirl.com.
- Collectible Mini Dolls: American Girl will launch a limited-edition historical mini doll each month throughout 2011. Collect all 12 and showcase them on American Girl's special display shelf. Available in stores, catalogues, and online at AmericanGirl.com, the collectible mini dolls will be sold through December 31, 2011, or while supplies last.
- Deluxe-Edition Historical DVDs: Discover added special features as American Girl re-releases beloved American Girl movies throughout 2011, starring favorite historical characters. The deluxe DVDs are available in stores, catalogues, and online at AmericanGirl.com.
- In-Store Celebration Events: Girls can visit their nearest American Girl store to participate in fun-filled birthday festivities featuring their favorite characters, crafts, activities, and more. Visit americangirl.com/stores/events for more details.
- Share Your American Girl Memories: Starting on May 2, 2011, American Girl is inviting fans to share their favorite American Girl moments and stories-from memories of favorite dolls and inspirational books to unforgettable experiences at our American Girl retail stores, we want to hear about them! Visit www.americangirl.com/stories to submit your story with photos and/or videos.
- 25th Birthday Cruise: On November 19, 2011, American Girl fans will set sail from Miami to the exciting ports of call of Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, and St. Kitts on the sold-out Celebrity EclipseSM via Celebrity Cruises®. The cruise will feature exclusive performances, activities, and special events, providing a dream vacation for American Girl fans.
Key American Girl Milestones
Founded in 1986 by former educator and children's publisher, Pleasant T. Rowland, American Girl has earned the loyal following of millions of girls and the praise and trust of parents and educators. Other interesting facts and figures about the company are as follows:
- More than 135 million American Girl® books have been sold since 1986.
- Nearly 20 million American Girl dolls have been sold through the company's catalogue, retail stores, and website since 1986.
- The American Girl catalogue ranks as one of the top 25 consumer catalogues in the country.
- American Girl magazine has a circulation of over 470,000-ranking it among the top ten children's magazines in the nation and the largest publication dedicated exclusively to girls ages eight and up.
- American Girl's proprietary retail stores have welcomed nearly 40 million visitors. The stores have won numerous awards and are recognized as premier models for experiential retail.
- The American Girl website, americangirl.com, receives 68 million visits per year.
- American Girl has a long-standing commitment to children's charities nationwide. To date, the company has donated more than $87 million in cash and products.
- American Girl has received an estimated 5 million letters and e-mails from girls and parents.
- Viewership of American Girl's five live-action movies, created in partnership with stars such as Julia Roberts, Joan Cusack, and Abigail Breslin, is more than 17 million.
News | Toy News
About American Girl
American Girl Brands, LLC, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAT, www.mattel.com), the world's leading toy company. Since American Girl's inception in 1986, the company has devoted its entire business to celebrating the potential of girls ages 3 to 12. American Girl encourages girls to dream, to grow, to aspire, to create, and to imagine through a wide range of engaging and insightful books, age-appropriate and educational products, and unforgettable experiences. In meeting its mission with a vigilant eye toward quality and service, American Girl has earned the loyal following of millions of girls and the praise and trust of parents and educators. To learn more about American Girl or to request a free catalogue, call 1-800-845-0005 or visit www.americangirl.com.