DVD Release Date: June 6, 2006
Rating: G - Bonus materials not rated or subtitled
Studio: Walt Disney Video
Format: AC-3, Animated, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, Full Screen, Original recording remastered, Special Edition, NTSC
Actors: Edward Brophy, Sterling Holloway, Herman Bing, Cliff Edwards, Verna Felton
Director: Ben Sharpsteen
Dumbo is the inspirational tale of love and adventure about an adorable baby elephant who overcomes
all odds. Mrs. Jumbo, an elephant in a touring circus, is visited by the stork one day and is blessed with
a baby elephant, whose huge ears cause the other elephants to mockingly nickname him “Dumbo.”
When Dumbo is separated from his mother, he finds a loyal friend in little Timothy Mouse, who tries to
steer Dumbo in the right direction. Although the circus views him as an outcast, Dumbo and Timothy
discover Dumbo’s hidden talent: his huge ears enable him to fly! Dumbo and Timothy team up to
overcome all obstacles as they soar to fame and fortune around the world.
The late, great Disney Legend Joe Grant co-wrote the screen story (loosely based on Dumbo The Flying
Elephant by Helen Aberson and Harold Pearl). Grant’s simple, superb story is one of the Disney Studio’s
most famous tales, and the beloved image of the elephant with the big floppy ears is iconic in cinema.
Dumbo features classic Disney animation from the “golden age” of the Disney Studio. Made shortly after
“Fantasia,” Dumbo’s team of filmmakers includes members from Walt’s famous “nine old men” of
directing animators. The lush, beautiful animation gives life to such famous scenes as the “Pink
Elephant” sequence, a brilliant scene that features the wonderful song “Pink Elephants On Parade.”
Dumbo is an Academy Award® winner for Best Musical Score (1941), and the film’s lovely songs include
“Baby Mine” (Oscar® nominated Best Song 1941), “Casey Junior” and “When I See An Elephant Fly.”
This DVD is enhanced with Disney’s FastPlay, an exclusive easy start-up feature from Walt Disney
Home Entertainment. With Disney’s FastPlay, viewers can let the DVD play automatically. This familyfriendly,
patent-pending technology plays the movie and includes a selection of bonus footage without
any additional viewing navigation. Or, viewers can choose to navigate through a simplified menu using
their remote control.
Disney’s FastPlay includes the exclusive EasyFind menu system, available only on Disney DVDs.
EasyFind menus provide consistent categories and graphic icons for easy identification of bonus material
DVD Bonus Features:
- DisneyPedia: “My First Circus” (New)- Children are encouraged to learn about different animals seen at the circus, in a fun matching/memory game.
- “Baby Mine” Music Video (New) - Performed by Jim Brickman and Kassie DePaiva
- DVD Storybook “Dumbo’s Big Discovery” - A full-color booklet for young children with an original ‘Dumbo’ story.
- Sing Along Songs
- “Celebrating Dumbo” Featurette - A retrospective on the making of ‘Dumbo’ with commentary by Roy E. Disney and Don Hahn (executive producer of Disney’s ‘The Lion King.’)
- Walt’s Original TV Introduction For The Film
- Dumbo Art Gallery - Rare concept art from the film
- Bonus Animated Shorts - “Elmer Elephant” and “The Flying Mouse”