10 Best Crib Mattresses For 2019 Reviewed
The right crib mattress provides a safe night of sleep for your infant and moves with your baby when they transition to a toddler bed around a year old.
Baby mattresses now differ completely from ten years ago with the majority made of foam instead of springs. But that isn’t the only difference – there are a variety of features that separate the top models from the cheap ones.
We look all the latest options available now, including organic options for eco-conscious moms.
Best Crib Mattress
With so many choices for a mattress for your child’s crib available, settling on the right choice can be both confusing and time consuming. To help simplify your search, we present our pics for the best crib mattress:
Mom’s want to know their baby will get the best and safest sleep possible which is why they might want the Colgate Eco Classica III mattress. The magic is in the layers and this one has six layers. At the very center find two layers, one made of firmer plant oil-based eco foam and a less firm eco foam layer for extra comfort. The other layers wrap around the entire mattress including a natural cotton flammability barrier and a certified organic cotton cover.
Colgate Mattress Brand has been around since 1955 offering quality mattresses much like this highly rated 6-inch thick dual foam mattress. As the mattress uses eco-friendly options, your baby won’t breathe in toxic air which continues with the ultra-soft organic cotton cover.
Also, square corners with an inverted seam allow for a super snug fit in the crib to reduce gaps that can injure infants. The certified safe mattress is also hypoallergenic and phthalate-free. Finally, this crib works with all standard sized American cribs and toddler beds which means it can work for up to four years depending on your child’s size all for one low price.
Some customers found the mattress too firm, but crib mattresses need to be firm even with foam as infants cannot control their movements and a mattress that is too soft can cause safety issues for infants. A few purchasers also had issues with the stitching coming loose which can happen on anything with stitches.
- 6" THICK ORTHOPEDIC MATTRESS - The Eco Classica III is a standard size orthopedic lightweight Crib mattress designed for most standard American cribs and toddler beds. The Crib mattress is approximately 51.63" long, 27.25" wide and 6" thick. Please measure your Crib or bed before purchasing
- DUAL-FIRMNESS - The extra firm side is engineered to provide the firmness infants need for proper support and development, while the less firm side provides the comfort toddlers prefer
- ULTRA-SOFT WATERPROOF COVER - The eco-friendly crib and toddler mattress is wrapped snugly inside an ultra-soft certified organic cotton cover, which is waterproof-backed to ensure the mattress stays dry while the baby's skin remains closest to organic cotton
- GREENGUARD GOLD & CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED - Like all Colgate mattresses, The Eco Classica III is GREENGUARD Gold, and CertiPUR-US certified, CPSIA compliant, and compliant with all federal and state flammability requirements - without the use of Fire retardant chemicals
- MADE IN THE USA - The Eco Classica III is designed to last throughout the infant and toddler years, with inverted seams to ensure Mattress durability. All Colgate Crib mattresses are proudly handcrafted in the USA by Colgate, The Crib mattress Specialist, a family-owned and operated business dedicated to baby's safety since 1955
I had all three of my babies in Germany and one of my favorite features of German mattresses was the ability to take off the cover completely and wash it in the machine. While the Newton Baby Crib Mattress is not German, it is fully washable. Yes, you read that right. Both the removable zippered cover and the inner mattress can be washed if soiled by messy infants.
You will pay a little more for the Newton mattress but the cost is worth the ability to wash the mattress. Infants and toddlers, especially toddlers learning to potty train, have multiple accidents and no one wants a smelly mattress clogging up the air in the nursery. If you plan to use cloth diapers, this is the mattress you need.
Beyond the washability, the mattress comes with Newton’s innovative Breathe-Thru technology which allows air to flow freely. Improved airflow reduces the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing, even when a baby rolls over in the night. This translates to less risk of SIDS.
As the cover is washable, you do not necessarily need a crib sheet which is why the company offers the mattress in several colors including white, gray, blue, and pink to coordinate with your nursery decor. The cover comes with two layers of highly breathable spacer fabric quilted together in an adorable cloud pattern.
The mattress comes without foam, latex, springs, glue, allergens, or VOCs. It’s actually 100% recyclable food-grade polymer. This means no gas emissions. Also, the woven design provides firm stability with only 10% polymer while the rest of the mattress 90% air for exceptional breathability.
A tiny percentage of customers found the mattress smelled strong because of the polymer. Another issue for some is the polyester cover, while washable, is not as soft for sensitive skin. The mattress fits in all standard-sized cribs and is easy to move as it only weighs 11 pounds.
- SAFETY: Our innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows air to flow freely and is independently proven to reduce the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing, even when your baby starts to roll over at night.
- COMFORT: Temperature regulating to prevent overheating, eliminate sweaty backs and improve sleep quality.
- LONG-LASTING & WASHABLE: Designed for both infants and toddlers (2-stage) and 100% washable at home.
- PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED: For your baby's health, safety, and development. Hypoallergenic. Winner of numerous awards.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: Lowest VOCs, contains no foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens. 100% recyclable. Proudly made in the USA.
The Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Sleep Surface Crib Mattresses offer a lot of versatility and function for a mid-range price. Find comfort knowing your infant is safe with an extra firm layer of foam on one side. Once they move to a toddler bed, flip the mattress over for a softer toddler-ready mattress.
What’s special about the mattress though is the layers. Both the infant and toddler side are infused with plant oils for better breathing. The 5-inch thick mattress comes wrapped in a woven fire barrier without spray-on flame-retardant chemicals. Made of medical-grade knit, the mattress is simple washing, stain, water, and odor resistant.
The super-light ten-pound mattress offers square corners and edges for easy sheet changing and to prevent gaps for infants to slip into at night. Parents will also love that the mattress is free of PVC, vinyl, phthalates, and chlorine which meets the Green-Guard Gold certification for low VOC.
With very few exposed seams for messes cannot creep into, the mattress has less chance of turning into mold or bacterial messes to infect babies and toddlers. Couple this with the comfortable foam and your child will use this mattress for several years before passing down to a sibling.
Lastly, the mattress comes with an 8-year warranty for those very few unsatisfied customers. However, email the company as their phones are difficult to get through to an actual person. Though the only issues reported were baby-sized indents in the mattress and a few of the mattresses measured half an inch short. Make sure to not put your baby in the same spot every night to avoid this issue. Contact customer service for a short mattress as that is not safe but a common issue with most manufactured items.
- MOONLIGHT SLUMBER MINI LITTLE DREAMER CRIB MATTRESS. The dual surface mattress is a two-stage sleep system for your little ones mini crib. Use the extra firm, eco-friendly, plant-based foam layer for your infant or the soft plush side for your toddler.
- DESIGNED WITH SLEEP IN MIND. Help your little one sleep easy with a flexible fabric cover to increase air circulation. They are made from a durable stretch knit, are waterproof and machine washable, and free of toxic chemicals.
- BABY FIRST. Babies don't care about bedding; they just want to be comfy. After all, theyll spend more than half their lives sleeping (or trying to). Moonlight Slumber makes premium sleep products that are soothing for babies and easy for parents.
- PERFORMANCE TESTED, PARENT APPROVED. Moonlight Slumber products go through demanding performance-testing procedures, utilizing a range of methods for evaluating durability, safety, and performance because they know that your childs safety leads to yours.
- MADE IN THE USA. Moonlight Slumber procures the safest quality materials, so you can rest assured that the superiority you expect is delivered. Quality materials, infant-safe and durable products that you and your family can trust.
If the other mattresses above are out of your price range, try the economical Delta Twinkle Stars Mattress instead. The mattress is so affordable you can afford one for your house and even your mom’s if the baby will stay with grandma when you go back to work. Like the last option, this mattress flips over for a softer mattress for toddlers while retaining the firmness infants need. The mattress works with growing babies by using thermo-bonded polyester fiber at the core for optimal support, comfort, and firmness.
Also like the last, this one comes with the GreenGuard Gold standard for clean air and reduced chemicals for your child to breathe in their sleep. Unlike the others, this mattress comes with a waterproof mattress cover which has several advantages and disadvantages.
While a waterproof mattress is super simple to clean while preventing bacteria and mold, it makes a lot of noise when your baby moves around. Another issue is comfort as most babies don’t want to sleep on a vinyl surface. Vinyl lasts for an incredible amount of time as long as you keep sharp objects far away which you will since this is a crib mattress for babies!
While low cost, the mattress might not meet high standards. A few customers complained of holes in the vinyl seams or indents after only a few nights. Foam tends to indent though. Change up which spots babies sleep in as indents can happen even in the most expensive mattresses.
- WE PUT BABY'S SAFETY FIRST:Non-toxic construction is free from harmful materials/chemicals
- IDEAL FOR INFANTS AND TODDLERS: Firm fiber core delivers the perfect firmness level for newborns and toddlers | SIZE: 27.5"W x 52"L x <6"H (fits standard cribs and toddler beds)
- WATERPROOF FOR EASY CLEANING: Durable, waterproof vinyl cover is easy to clean | Both sides of the mattress feature a waterproof cover, so flip the mattress when it comes time for your baby to move to a toddler bed for freshness
- SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS: GREENGUARD Gold certified: recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to healthier environments | Meets or exceeds flammability, lead, phthalate and CPSIA testing and does not contain toxic fire retardants
- MORE IMPORTANT INFO: Mattress comes with limited 7 year warranty | Made in USA | Lightweight design makes changing sheets easy | Square corners help for secure fit inside the crib or toddler bed
The lightweight and affordable NapYou Crib Mattress offers a lot of quality for an economical price range especially when you consider you can use the mattress for four years. The dual-sided mattress offers a firm side for infants and softer side for toddlers who can handle a little extra cushion safely.
While the cover is waterproof, it’s also removable via a zipper to toss in the wash. Even better, because the cover is made of an organic cotton blend it’s breathable and soft. I wonder if the company makes a cover like this for adult mattresses too. It’s waterproof without the crinkly noise of vinyl.
Along with the other mattresses above, the mattress comes with Certified CertiPUR-US foam for a safer sleeping environment for your baby. The full-size infant mattress measures 52 x 27 1/2 x 5.5 like all standard crib mattresses. One dual layer of foam makes for added comfort and less bunching as the crib ages.
Finally, while the mattress is reversible for infants and toddlers, the bottom houses the zipper for removing the cover. Switch this for comfort to the zipper on the baby side of the mattress when your toddler is ready to use in a toddler bed. One customer found fiberglass inside the zippered section which some foam mattresses use as a flame retardant. Do not unzip any further if you find any fiberglass as it’s extremely unsafe.
- DUAL COMFORT - The perfect baby mattress that features a firmer side for infants, and a softer side for toddlers.
- SUPPORTIVE/SAFE - A supportive foam layer will keep your baby sleeping safe and sound throughout the night! Cradling your newborn safely while the contouring memory foam layer will support proper posture in your toddler's neck and back.
- 100% WATERPROOF COVER - Your baby's mess will be easy and convenient to clean with the unique waterproof, organic cotton blend cover that is removable and has ultimate breathability.
- MEASUREMENTS - The NapYou Dual Comfort Baby Mattress is 52 x 27 1/2 x 5.5 inches, fitting most standard sized cribs as well as toddler beds.
- CERTIFIED CertiPUR-US FOAM - All NapYou produscts are made only with certified CertiPUR-US foam, creating a safe environment for the perfect sleep.
The next mattress comes from Sealy with a Soybean Foam-Core. While lightweight, the high-density foam-core uses some natural and renewable soybeans grown in America to provide firmness. As it’s certified by CertiPur-US and GreenGuard Gold means it’s free of phthalates, lead, mercury, formaldehyde, PBDES, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants.
No need to worry about diaper leaks or bottle spills as the surface and binding are waterproof. This means no stains or liquids seeping into the three layers of foam. This also protects about common household allergens like dust and dander. It’s also the most lightweight at five pounds for a maximum weight limit of 65 pounds.
Another great feature includes the square sides for a snug fit and so sheets slide on securely. What’s more, the mattress comes with the Sealy name and quality. Sealy mattresses last a lifetime and this one will too. Although, the mattress uses polyurethane foam, which means this is not a fully natural or organic mattress.
A few customers found the mattress too firm, but remember, infants and adults need different levels of firmness. This model is not softer on the other side for toddlers either. Finally, as expected, the waterproofing vinyl makes noise as the baby move around and is less breathable for the baby too. Think about listening to the crinkling on the baby monitor before purchasing.
- HIGH-DENSITY SOYBEAN FOAM-CORE - Lightweight yet ultra-durable soybean foam-core uses a percentage of natural and renewable soybeans grown by American farmers, providing the right amount of firmness and comfort for infants and toddlers.
- FEEL GOOD FOAM --The foam used throughout is CertiPur-US Certified foam made in the USA. It is made without phthalates, lead, mercury, formaldehyde, PBDES, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants that may be a concern in non-certified foams.
- WATERPROOF SURFACE & BINDING - Reinforced embossed waterproof and stain-resistant cover with lock-stitched binding helps to keep liquids from seeping inside while household allergens like dust and dander will wipe away instead of clinging to the mattress surface.
- SAFETY & QUALITY TESTED -- Firmness, durability and crib fit tested, passes American Society for Testing and Materials Crib Mattress Standards; this entire crib mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality and tested for chemicals to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby. All our mattresses are tested for flame retardant chemicals and we do not add flame retardant chemicals.
- MADE IN THE USA - Sealy Crib and Toddler Mattresses are designed, engineered and proudly made in the USA of U.S. and imported parts. Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials.
The Millard Crib Mattress is the second most affordable option with top reviews. It offers a firmer side for infants with a cushier side for toddlers with a supportive foam layer. However, unlike the other mattresses on the list, this one has a contouring memory foam layer to support proper posture for toddler’s back and neck.
Remember to put your infant on the firmer side of the foam mattress and reserve the memory foam side for toddlers. The dual-side mattress offers exceptional comfort and safety without being too firm although, infants don’t know the difference as everything is more comfortable than the fetal position in the womb!
Another great feature is the 100% waterproof natural cotton cover. It’s washable, breathable, and super convenient for parents who have babies with lots of leaks, explosive diapers, or cloth diapers. The cover is also soft to touch and hypoallergenic with an anti-slip layer to reduce wrinkles and bunching. Finally, the polyurethane foam comes certified by CertiPur-US for exceptional standards.
Finally, no issues except the foam may take a while to roll out completely once out of the packaging. As with all foam, the mattress will sink a little so make sure to not put your baby in the same spot each night. Otherwise, the only complaints are rather Goldilocks inspired; Some found the mattress too soft and others too firm but most found the mattress just right.
- Double Sided Mattress featuring a firmer side for infants, and a softer side for toddlers.
- A supportive foam layer will cradle your newborn safely, and the contouring memory foam layer will support proper posture in your toddler's back and neck.
- Features a 100% cotton cover that is waterproof and washable, for ultimate breathability and convenience.
- Measures: 52 x 27½ x 5.5 inches, fits standard size cribs and toddler beds.
- Meets or exceeds all US safety certifications and regulations.
The Dourxi Crib Mattress offers many of the same features above all for a reasonable price meant to fit in most budgets. One unique feature is an organic cotton cover for the dual-stage mattress. Again, the firm side works best for infants and the softer side for toddlers. Although, try both sides for toddlers too as many toddlers prefer firm as it’s what they are used to using.
This mattress fits all standard full-sized cribs and toddler beds. It ships compressed so it makes take a few days to fluff fully out so allow for at least a week for the foam to expand. The best feature is a repeat, the washable, breathable, and removable cover, although it’s not waterproof. Some customers found the tag on the mattress does not say organic cotton cover but instead says polyester.
This company uses the safest materials to build mattresses, which is free of phthalates, meets federal flammability standards and GreenGuard and CertiPUR certified. It avoids all allergens and dust too with multiple layers including a flame-retardant layer as well as two layers of foam. A great option if you have a smaller budget but want high-end features.
- 【Dual Sided Sleep System】 Our baby crib mattress features 2-stage dual firmness to support your baby into the toddler years. A firm side for infants and a cushion firm side for toddlers. This tailored approach offers specialized attention based on the stage of the child (safety for infants, and comfort for toddlers)
- 【Measures】52 x 27½ x 5.5 inches, fits any standard full-size crib and toddler bed. This crib mattress will be shipped compressed in a small, lightweight, easy to carry box.
- 【Washable Cover 】Your baby's mess will be easy and convenient to clean with the unique washable, cover that is removable and has ultimate breathability.
- 【CertiPUR-US certified】All Dourxi baby crib mattress are made with certified CertiPUR-US foam, to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby, and the firmness recommended for babies and toddlers.
- 【10-Year Warranty】Dourxi procures the safest quality materials to build mattresses, which is absolutely free of phthalates, meets federal flammability standards and GreenGuard and CertiPUR certified.100% Guarantee Dourxi crib mattress backed by a 60-day refund and 10-year warranty. Any problems, please feel free contact us by Amazon messages.
Foam is nice to sleep on, but it isn’t considered safe or organic by all parents. For those parents who want an organic crib mattress try the Emily Crib Mattress by My Green Mattress. They use the finest organic non-toxic ingredients to make all of their mattresses.
The first layer is GOLS certified organic coconut coir, which is supportive, firm, and pressure relieving. Underneath, find an innerspring covered in organic cotton and wool, the latter of which acts as a natural flame retardant. This brand completely avoids polyurethane foams and off-gassing chemicals.
Next, the top comes from 100% natural Dunlop latex a sustainably sourced rubber tree to provide a breathable and hypoallergenic sleeping environment. It’s also dust-mite, mold, and mildew resistant. As this is a spring mattress, you will want to fluff it out over a few times a year.
Also, the mattress is the standard size to fit American cribs. It also meets all the same standards as the other cribs including GreenGuard Gold certified. It’s the perfect mattress if you want to avoid foam mattresses and make sure your baby’s space is completely green.
Finally, because the mattress has150 inner coils, it’s significantly heavier than the others weighing in at just over 24 pounds. Some people dislike the rounded corners as it provides a tiny gap. Also, if you do not flip the mattress every other month or so, this mattress may sag.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified.
- Handcrafted using a GOTS certified organic cotton, 100% Natural Eco-wool quilted cover, and organic coconut pad. Proudly made in LaGrange, IL, USA
- Free of polyurethane foams; A heavy batting of GOTS certified organic cotton provides your baby with comfort and a natural night's sleep. Heavy duty 150 coil innerspring.
- Two-sided design provides for longer life. The ability to flip in case of an accident or spill that your mattress protector does not catch.
- Certified to be free of lead by UL Laboratories and passes CFR 1633,1632 flammability testing
If you want an organic mattress without innerspring coils, then you should look at the Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress. The mattress offers an intelligent design that avoids foam, vinyl and other potentially hazardous materials from interfering with your baby’s sleep. This mattress is a little lighter than the other organic mattress at about eighteen and a half pounds.
Amish folks from Ohio make the crib mattresses which includes a lifetime limited warranty. What you will love about the mattress though is the WaveSupport technology which uses food-grade polyethylene instead of foam to fill the inside of the mattress. The wavy design of the polyethylene layer provides excellent support and durability without foam or coils. Even better, the structured design withstands body weight while also providing breathability.
Polyethylene is easy to clean which is why it’s paired with organic cotton for a waterproof cover. It’s hypoallergenic, dust-free, and stain-resistant even for mom’s who use cloth diapers or children with allergies. Inside the mattress find an organic cotton filling as a healthy alternative to foam or synthetic fabrics.
Finally, the heat-sealed waterproof seams give a modern look without allowing anything to enter the inner sanctum of the mattress. Also, like the foam versions, this mattress has a firm side for infants and a softer side tailored to toddlers. This mattress is GreenGuard Gold Certified and a great mattress for eco-concerned parents.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Organic cotton fabric and filling. Certified by GOTS & GREENGUARD for non-toxic sleep. Safe for Infant.
- BREATHABLE: 3D mesh surface allows baby to breathe while face down. Luxurious quilted surface layer can be removed and is machine washable.
- WATERPROOF CORE: Can be used as a standalone crib mattress when cover is in the wash. Wipe-clean waterproof surface and seams. Lightweight - easy to change sheets
- NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS: No Flame retardants, latex, PU Foam, soy, vinyl/PVC, phthalates, formaldehyde. Hypoallergenic, green, and natural.
- USA-MADE: Made in the USA with domestic and imported fabrics and components; lifetime limited warranty. Safety is our first priority at Naturepedic. Bedding accessories and sheets not included. Fits standard size cribs, cot, infant beds and nursery furniture. 27-1/4 x 51-5/8 x 6 (inch).
Questions About the Best Mattresses for Cribs
Are soft baby mattresses safe?
SIDS is one of the scariest words a parent can hear which is why most crib mattress companies now make firmer mattresses to reduce the risk of sudden infant death. Soft mattresses may seem more comfortable to us grownup ups but unfortunately can cause issues for babies.
Do not use the softer toddler side of the crib for babies under ten months of age. It’s also best to keep the crib free of everything including crib bumpers, toys, blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals to prevent any other risks for suffocation.
How big is a standard-sized crib mattress?
The standard-sized crib is 52 inches long by 27.25 inches wide by about 5 to 6 inches thick. These measurements ensure the mattress will fit standard American cribs. If you have a crib made before 2000 make sure to measure before using. Avoid cribs with huge rounded corners if you don’t want pacifiers to disappear into crevices and disappear like socks in the dryer.
What are GreenGuard Gold Certification and CertiPUR Certification?
GreenGuard Gold Certification helps buyers to know which interior materials and have low chemical emissions. They hope to help improve air quality and chemical exposure and in the process improve the environment. The company has high standards they maintain to gain their certification find out more at their website. (http://greenguard.org/en/about.aspx)
Similarly, CertiPur Certification is a non-profit organization that certifies foams. It checks to make sure foams are made without ozone depleters, several flame retardants, mercury, lead, other metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They also make sure foam is low VOC (volatile organic compound) emission for indoor air quality. Like GreenGuard Gold, this organization has high standards to receive a certification. Check out their website for more information. (https://certipur.us/)
Here is a good YouTube video outlining a few things to look for in a good crib mattress:
Wrapping Up the Best Mattresses for Cribs
The best mattresses for cribs come certified for emissions, offer a firm surface for infants and a softer side for babies over ten months old. Even better mattresses offer organic materials that are washable or waterproof and keep your baby safe like the Naturepedic Breathable Organic Crib Mattress. Not only are these mattresses made high quality by Amish workers, but they also offer smart wave technology for comfort and breathability.